Old August 18th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default The Deaf vs. The Colorblind

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:34:31 -0700, Sylvain wrote in
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

one, nobody suggests eliminating the light guns,

Retiring the signal lights would be beneficial to the colorblind,
but devastating to the deaf.

fair enough. So someone did suggest it, bad idea nonetheless.

Perhaps you'd be good enough to point out the part of AIM 6-4-1 that
exempts a flight from receiving a clearance to land from ATC at
towered airports:

good, so you can cut and paste,

Am I to infer from that statement, that you don't appreciate the
effort I expended in researching the information and providing it as
reference material for this discussion? Personally, I prefer having
the words of the actual citation before me when making decisions based
on them, don't you?

we now just have to work a bit
on the reading comprehension part; now pay attention to the part
that says 'and land as soon as practicable' (for the VFR part);
do you understand what 'practicable' mean? [sic] if your first field
of choice is not 'practicable' -- for instance because it requires
a clearance that you now are unable to receive -- then pick another
one -- for instance one which is not controled, there are quite
a few to choose from. As for the flight in IFR is concerned, it
is also explained in excruciating details, try reading it again.

(Someone is going to have to enlighten you on the function of the
Shift key.)

So there is no such part, that exempts a flight from receiving a
clearance to land from ATC at towered airports contained in AIM
Section 6-4-1: Two-way Radio Communications Failure. Thank you.

To summarize, retiring FAA light gun equipment, would result in the
inability of a flight to land at a towered airport in the event of
lost communication as a result of total electrical system failure.

So when my headset plug makes intermittent contact while I'm on short
final at my destination (towered) airport, you suggest that I abort
the landing, and head for an uncontrolled field, rather than see the
green light from the tower and land?

Your smug attitude belies your shallow analysis of the issue.