Old August 18th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AES

Default $640.00 to fill the tanks...

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

If you really want to read more about this seemingly impossible
competitive scenario, read this, from our local newspaper:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y1EA1249D

I don't understand it. My kids don't understand it. No one I talks to
understands it. Yet, it's happened. And a fair number of small motels
are in grave danger because of it -- including ours.

Jay,

1) If this scenario is doing or will do serious damage to your hotel,
I'm genuinely sorry; I've had the chance to stay in a certain number of
"boutique" hotels in my life -- never an aviation one yet, but Doris
Day's highly dog-friendly small hotel in Carmel, just for example -- and
enjoyed them all.

2) But I've also attended during my working life a lot of scientific
meetings at hotel-convention center combinations of the type that your
link seems to describe -- one just last month in Quebec in fact -- and
gotten immense value from having all the action and interactions right
in one location, with one lobby. Hotel/convention centers can also
bring large economic benefit to the cities in which they're located,
which is socially valuable also.

3) As to _how_ the current result was brought about, which in your view
may be seen as representing an inappropriate mixing of government and
private activities, that may indeed be the case. But Hey! That's
precisely unregulated Free Market Economics at work.

The wealthy and prosperous -- e.g., the people who will actually profit
from this new hotel/center -- simply can, and do, purchase (in the free
market) "the best government (best for them) that money can buy".
Happens all the time: big sports stadiums, etc.

And getting rid of "big government", "starving the beast", "getting rid
of all those onerous government regulations", all the other Right Wing
nostrums: These won't prevent what's hit you, they'll just make it
_easier_, not harder, for things exactly like your current problem to
happen.