Old August 20th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Klein

Default The Deaf vs. The Colorblind

On 17 Aug 2006 09:49:04 -0700, "Bret Ludwig"
wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:19:22 -0700, Sylvain wrote in
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

Please explain how a data link would be useful in controlling an
aircraft that has lost communication capability due to electrical
system failure.

the same way one would for *any* aircraft that has lost communication
capability as described in AIM 6-4-1 for instance?

Please explain how aircraft that has lost (data link and all radio)
communication capability due to electrical system failure will be able
to receive the green 'cleared to land' light gun signal upon arrival
if light guns are eliminated as suggested.

Aircraft wouldn't lose the datalink because it would have a backup
battery. But if it did they could use just one color light and three or
four Morse characters which everyone would be required to memorize.
Every pilot knows S, O, A, and N (even though AN ranges have went where
VOR should have years ago, but I digress) and most people know "V" from
Beethoven's FIFTH-da-da-da-dum.

I seem to recall being required to demonstrate the ability to identify
VOR stations by listening to the Morse coded identifier. This was
during my training for the private certificate. I astonished my CFI
by listening to the ID just once and then saying, "Ok, that's MZB (or
whatever)" without refering to the sectional chart where the morse is
given thusly -- --.. -... for MZB. He said, "How'd you do that?" I
explained I'd been a ham since I was a kid and could easily decode
those things in my head. So.....we're already supposed to be able
to do this so how come the tower guys can't talk to NORDO guys this
way?

Klein, NA7NA