Old January 9th 04, 03:56 PM
Dave S

I guess what Im getting at is.. if the POH and checklist says one thing,
and a homebrew Vref, Vx, Vy, etc. doesnt match "the book" exactly (but
is scientifically correct).. which would prevail if something went wrong
and my decisionmaking was analyzed after the fact by G-men, insurers,
usenet readers, etc..

I get the feeling (without having done any of the math yet) that this
truly is an academic exercise in the typical 4 seat or less light
spamcan anyways, something akin to a few knots here or there...

Gary Drescher wrote:

"Dave S" wrote in message
. net...

Now... a question about realities.. The POH nazi's will say that the
Word as written is good, praise be to the POH... if I base flight
decisions and speeds on MY calculated numbers rather than the max weight
sea level standard day numbers published in the almighty POH.. am I
going to be asking for trouble here?

It depends on what you mean by 'trouble'. The laws of physics prevail over
the POH in determining whether your engine mount will break, whether your
climb angle will clear an obstacle, whether you can stop before the end of
the runway, whether you can glide to a landing spot, etc. And those things
are what the V speeds are all about.

In fact, though, I don't think there's any contradiction between the physics
and the way the POH speeds are supposed to be interpreted. But the question
is a good illustration of why understanding the basic physics helps
understand how to use the POH numbers safely.

--Gary