Old June 9th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Generator on 100LL?

"Juan Jimenez" writes:

The lead in the 100LL fuel will kill you just as miserably. That's why it
can't be transported through the nationwide fuel pipeline system, and why
oil from aircraft that fly on 100LL cannot be recycled like automotive
oil,
for example.

Horsefeathers.

My information comes from Ben Visser, of AeroShell/Shell Oil Products. He
has worked in fuels and lubricants for over 35 years, the last 20 of which
have been specifically in the aviation side of the company. He has chaired
the Committee and authored most of the SAE/Milspecs for aviation oils.

Well, I've been out of the business since 1981, but we used to carry
both leaded and unleaded gas on a daily basis. The only change I've
heard about since is, with no more leaded regular, you must cut to
slop far sooner and more often [fewer 'safe' cuts...]...

We did have a test for "lead in the unleaded" & worst case, the
unleaded would be mixed and sold as leaded regular. (Never heard of
it happening, but..)

Even then, there was no way Avgas was used in quantities that you
could pipeline it in. As I recall from hanging around CLE, they got
a {6000 gal max} 87/100 truck in from the refinery every two weeks
or so. For contrast, the JetA pipeline from our facility to theirs
moved just under 500,000 gallons a day.

--
A host is a host from coast to