Old September 19th 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Kawa rough landing?

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 7:43:22 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 9:07:32 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
...is many motorgliders do not "plummet" or become less controllable
because the mast is up

And, many DO plummet, with reduced control authority.
It is highly dependent on what kind of glider!
Don't assume...

Which gliders are you talking about, or is it just a general smear against motorgliders? I have flown three different MGs (DG400, ASH26e and ASH31Mi) and none of them "plummet" or become less controllable with the mast up. The DG400 had a barely noticeable slower roll rate because the engine is on the mast, increasing its moment of inertia slightly. Note that we fly in this configuration routinely because the engine must be shut down on every flight in order to retract the prop.

Tom