Old December 24th 04, 12:19 PM
John Carrier

Fleet use of flaps for low speed maneuvering was universal. About a
4-potato count to get 1/2 flaps. Trim was also used extensively. You'd run
in trim for a turn and use back stick to fine tune it ... just a wee bit
more efficient using the whole slab vice just the elevator. Slats were
problematic. They weren't designed for maneuvering and (particularly in
older, misaligned aircraft) reluctant to deploy symmetrically above 300.
Most guys would plan their turns so that slats were either going to stay up,
or they'd be below 300 before they came out. Once the slats out turn was
done, a little bunt was sometimes required to get 'em up for optimized
acceleration.

One of the Advanced RI simulator hops involved high density altitude T/O and
approach. So I'd give the stud a full bag TA-4, Cannon AFB (highest field
in the database with approach templates), and 100 degrees RW temp (highest
the sim would go). Takeoff run was leisurely, once airborne he could climb
(barely) or accelerate to flap speed (barely), but not simultaneously. A
nice aero lesson to prepare him for the real world.

R / John

"Elmshoot" wrote in message
Hoops Stewart, my main IUT instructor,
in
a TA-4(P-6 engine), with Tumor(our RIO) in the trunk.

I know the Traning command put some more restrictions on us like no Flaps
during the fight, so it was far game to throw them out in the fleet?
Also I remember that NATOPS prohibited aero braking after landing but when
got to VC-12 OMARS it was considered normal to Aero Brake after touchdown
I was
shocked the first time it happened. It was my first experience flying a
MAX
weight A-4 as well. Two full drops and an RMK-31 tow reel pod on the
centerline. The brief was if anything happened to the engine below 1000'
automatic eject. Up to 5K you get one attempt to figure out and do
something
then step out. What a PIG!!!
Sparky