Old October 8th 16, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default US Competition Pilot Poll and Election

Bruce,

That sounds right.

I again go back to my fundamental question... What "true measurable value" does maintaining our own unique US rules provide us vs. the cost of being separatists from the international gliding community (in so many ways)?

Or, asked another way, what is the positive value of being part of the established and stable FAI community, short and long term, for ALL of our US (and Canadian) contest (and future contest) pilots? This should be a simple, immediate answer, should it not?

What is the cost to us all (the US contest community at current and those hopefully entering it in the near future) in time/energy/aggravation from this annual US cycle required to maintain our own unique gliding competition rules?

1) read the biased opinion poll
2) respond to it.
3) debate it
4) wait for it to the "scored," (wink, wink)
5) read the always enjoyable "interpretation" of our opinion poll responses (again, wink, wink)?
6) endure and learn significant rule changes each year.

What of all the angst created by of that process of doing it all on our own while isolating ourselves from the rest of the world?

Then, of course, there is the annual requirement to update our scoring software code, troubleshooting it's bugs every spring, etc.

I ask these questions here on RAS beyond the reach and control of certain "SSA leaders" who would prefer to control this narrative entirely. If our leaders were not biased and emotionally neutral on this topic, they would balance this discussion annually with FAI as a baseline or fallback. Does it make sense to continue forward with US rules or is it time to go back to FAI. Here is the value justification... But they never do that. FAI is instead "out of the question." Why?

They apparently have a real score to settle with the FAI. A grudge. It's not my grudge or yours, it's theirs. At the same time, they also have a real love for US rules and the process. They enjoy it. It's actually important stuff to them. They would miss it. They try to tightly control the US rules discussion (and the politics surrounding it such as election nominations). They criticize FAI endlessly yet consider the US rules to be almost divine. IMO they are working hard in the background to leverage FAI at our expense citing the glory of their experimental rules rather than arguing from within the FAI for changes. Does anyone else see this?

IMO, we are being used a little like lab rats at US contests (US contest competitors) and are being held hostage within the US rules. We are an ongoing experiment.

I contend that our US rules provide us little (to negative) value in terms of safety, participation, youth interest, contest enjoyment and international community inclusion and comradeship. I would love to debate some real data on the value these options. How is it that all other nations us FAI rules and are just fine? They are equally safe, have equal or higher participation, more juniors, better social environments, etc.

I think that it is time to strongly consider a move to FAI in the USA. Why not next season?