Old August 28th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Discusflyer[_2_]

Default GPS-NAV security sealing

I'm not unhappy at all. I like to fly for records even if they are modest
at best. But why not improve things for everyone and use technology to
make it easier. Your note backs up my point that the 'in hand
inspection' is more of a ceremonial task than prevention.

Ok I didn't mean to cause problems so I'll say thank you for the
comments.

Good Lift,
Steve

At 00:28 28 August 2008, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Aug 27, 5:24=A0pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Aug 27, 4:39=A0pm, Sam Discusflyer wrote:

What kind of tampering are you looking for? I'm curious.

=A0I thought about the comment by another of hooking up something in

th=
unit. Most likely the person would use alligator clips or some other
intricate connector. Do you think you would be able to see the

scratch
marks left by this connector? What else are you testing for? Some

code
changes or board modifications? =A0More likely someone would hook

throu=
gh
the communication connection outside the unit. Then you would never

kno=
they were doing that would you when you did the 'in hand

inspection'.
How about I take a picture and send it to you while you are

connected
t=
the unit?

There is not much room inside the unit for this kind of

modificationl
N=
or
as another put it would someone really invest the time and money?

Steve Michalik

At 14:37 27 August 2008, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi Marc,

Good point. =A0I really would need to have the unit in hand.

Paul Remde

"Marc Ramsey" =A0wrote in message
.. .
Sam Discusflyer wrote:
So why is it not possible to hook up the GPS unit to the PC

connect=
ed
the internet, connect with the key master and load the serial #?

Open up case, insert $2 microcontroller between GPS receiver and

fli=
ght
recorder logic board, close case, call up manufacturer say "hey

my
flight
recorder unsealed itself", reload key, go set some world

records.

The manufacturer or designated agent is supposed to inspect the
interior

of the unit for tampering before resealing. =A0Otherwise,

there's
no=
much

point to sealing it in the first place...

Marc

Aligator clips? I could solder and unsolder components inside the
system, replace or repogram EEPROMS on the boards, etc. All bets are
off if I open the container and get to reseal it myself. Nobody is
going to ever get to look at it anyhow if you could self seal. The
whole point of the seal is you can't do it yourself, but must use a
trusted agent.

We would not have all been going through this hassle if it was not an
issue. With nothing more than what an good electronics hobbiest would
have I could open up any of these units and tap into the pressure
transducer electrical interface and make it do anything I wanted. Take
the altitude part of the GPS signal, fake that as well. Hey presto a
new world altitude record. Now sealing and the current mechanisms are
not absolutely bullet proof but they are a useful deterent. And as
others mentioned there have been attempts to forge flights.

You clearly are unhappy you have to pay some money to get this
resealed. But you know what you don't. If you don't like all this
stuff about having certified loggers and verifyable flights etc.

don't
use a certified logger or don't have it resealed. Many garden

variety,
low cost, GPS systems can log your flight and you can look at them all
you want in SeeYou etc. Many PDA soaring programs and other systems
will create logs suitable for use by OLC. But if you want to try out
for badges or records, etc. then you have to follow the rules or go
lobby to the IGC to have them changed.

Darryl

And yes I know technically the altitude record is a bad example.
(outside the specs of many loggers), here is a better one... I could
magically stay below 18,000' all day regardless of how high I flew. I
think Marc and I could go into business on some of these add on
options if you did not require sealed loggers.

Darryl