Old April 4th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default If I need a new Propeller -- Suggestions? (Cherokee 140)

The Prop shop has measured the tips and found that it MIGHT BE out of
limits?
They don't know? Find a new prop shop.

Reconditioned props can be found, make sure it is listed in the Type
Certificate Data Sheet as an approved prop for your aircraft/engine
combination.

BT

"CDP_bayarea" wrote in message
ups.com...
Its annual time here in rainy California,

IA spotted a few spots (about the size of a dime) of incipient
corrosion on the prop so he pulled it and sent it off to the prop shop
for cleaning and painting (said it probably wouldn't need a full
overhaul). OK by me . . . lets always err on the safe side with prop
corrosion.

That was three weeks ago. Now I've found out that one of the mechs at
the prop shop measured the tips and found that the prop might be out of
spec -- so pending further review and discussion I may be looking at
having to acquire a replacement.

I'm a relatively new owner (and still a student pilot). Advise and
suggestions needed on how to go about selecting the right replacement.
I'm sure I'll get pretty good info from the shop but thought I would
ask here first to get my mind focused on the issues.

And a question on climb vs cruise props. Which would be a better
choice for a plane that operates generally at sea-level, low density
altitudes? How would that choice be affected if the plane was to be
used to travel cross country over significant mountains (10K or
higher).

Thanks for the help

Chris