Old February 5th 04, 05:02 PM
Tom Serkowski

Pete Zeugma wrote in message ...
At 02:42 05 February 2004, Isoar wrote:
I can't find anything in my books about how to make
a 90 degree turn
(e.g., downwind to base) while in a full slip,

Funny that, but then you should take a massive pinch
of salt when you read posts about making you turns
with the rudder. If you need to side slip at all during
your downwind, base and final, best do it on the straight
parts and use proper coordinated well banked turns
between. The one thing you should always avoid getting
into is turning with excessive amounts of rudder. Why?

It's a slip, NOT a skid. I'm not using excessive amounts of ruddre,
but just the opposite - essentially too little rudder to the extreme.

I most often do one of these when getting into a 2-33 after flying
glass with effective spoilers for a while.

When on base leg, I realize my normal pattern altitude is too high for
the little bit of sink the spoilers of the 2-33 provide. So as I turn
base to final, I apply rudder away from the direction of turn and lots
of aileron into the turn. Viola - a huge amount of altitude lost in
the turn and as I line up on final, the contols get 'normalized' again
and spoilers back to 2/3 or so for a normal flare and touchdown. I
usually get the angles figured out for the 2-33 after a couple flights
and the slip goes away, unless of course, I want to have some fun.
Like slipping down to the flare, flare aggressively, do a high AOA
touchdown (almost 2 point) and get stopped within 1-200' of touchdown

I've even done this in my ASW-20B with full flaps and spoilers. Set
up a landing while a gust front os blowing about 50 knots down the
runway. So the pattern is high with a planned turn to final at 5-600'
AGL pretty much over the numbers. About half way down base leg, the
wind quits. Now I'm waaaay high. So I pull out full flaps, full
spoilers, and do the slipping turn. I slipped it all the way down to
about 50', and touched down almost exaclty where I'd planned when the
wind was still blowing.

Tom
ASH-26E