Old December 2nd 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default What First Glider to own?

I really would not suggest the IS29D2 ....these never had a great reputation
and not many were sold and support with any of the Lark sailplanes can be an
issue today since the manufacturer really has no glider production anymore
and I suspect part will be an issue.being a metal glider part are a real
issue since you can't simply build a rib, skin bulkhead or any of the
1,000's of parts that could be specific to just this one glider. There will
just be many far better choices than this one
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Sparkorama" wrote in message

I'm getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and flying in the
Boston area. I'll be putting some winter flying time in and I'm
considering buying my first glider once I'm back to comfortable solos
and my private license. (Naturally, I won't fly anything until I am
competent and ready). Any suggestions on a first glider? Because of my
price range, I realize I'll be looking at some older birds. I would say
my preferences are as follows. Under 20k, easy to fly, easy to maintain
and safe. Naturally, I'd like to see some decent glide performance, just
thinking that some future performance would be good for keeping the
plane for some time. (currently I'm considering an IS29D2 Lark)
My club has competent instructors and the following fleet (winter flying
in only the 2-33):
1 Puchacz (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer, aerobatic)
3 Blanik L-23 (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer,
sightseeing)
1 Blanik L-33 solo (single place, 30/1 performance; cross-country,
sightseeing)
1 Schweitzer 1-34 (single place, 34/1 performance)
1 Pilatus B-4 (single place, 35/1 performance; cross-country,
aerobatic)
1 Schweizer 2-33A (two place, 23/1 performance; trainer)
1 Schweizer 1-26E (single place, 23/1 performance; aerobatic)
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

--
Sparkorama

signature database 5668 (20101202) __________