Old December 2nd 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default What First Glider to own?

On Dec 2, 11:05*am, Sparkorama
wrote:
I'm getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and flying in the
Boston area. I'll be putting some winter flying time in and I'm
considering buying my first glider once I'm back to comfortable solos
and my private license. (Naturally, I won't fly anything until I am
competent and ready). Any suggestions on a first glider? Because of my
price range, I realize I'll be looking at some older birds. I would say
my preferences are as follows. Under 20k, easy to fly, easy to maintain
and safe. Naturally, I'd like to see some decent glide performance, just
thinking that some future performance would be good for keeping the
plane for some time. *(currently I'm considering an IS29D2 Lark)
My club has competent instructors and the following fleet (winter flying
in only the 2-33):
1 Puchacz (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer, aerobatic)
3 Blanik L-23 (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer,
sightseeing)
1 Blanik L-33 solo (single place, 30/1 performance; cross-country,
sightseeing)
1 Schweitzer 1-34 (single place, 34/1 performance)
1 Pilatus B-4 (single place, 35/1 performance; cross-country,
aerobatic)
1 Schweizer 2-33A (two place, 23/1 performance; trainer)
1 Schweizer 1-26E (single place, 23/1 performance; aerobatic)
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

--
Sparkorama

You don't say what you want to do/what goals you have for your
soaring, but for XC, ease of rigging/derigging, a nice trailer, light
well coordinated handling and 40:1'ish performance are all good things
in my book. Ease or repair, a relatively large user base and factory
support are worth a lot.

For me: I would find a partner and look at a used standard class glass
ship ASW-24, Discus, LS4, DG-303 and get one with a Cobra trailer. For
any of these gliders automatic control connection are a big plus.

I'd rather fly a shared nice glider on half the weekends than a
"bargain" glider that costs half the amount every weekend.

Darryl