Old December 2nd 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Cottrell[_2_]

Default What First Glider to own?

At 19:54 02 December 2010, Tony wrote:
On Dec 2, 1:05=A0pm, Sparkorama
wrote:
I'm getting back into the sport after a long hiatus and flying

in the
Boston area. I'll be putting some winter flying time in and

I'm
considering buying my first glider once I'm back to

comfortable solos
and my private license. (Naturally, I won't fly anything until I

am
competent and ready). Any suggestions on a first glider?

Because of my
price range, I realize I'll be looking at some older birds. I

would say
my preferences are as follows. Under 20k, easy to fly, easy

to maintain
and safe. Naturally, I'd like to see some decent glide

performance, just
thinking that some future performance would be good for

keeping the
plane for some time. =A0(currently I'm considering an

IS29D2 Lark)
My club has competent instructors and the following fleet

(winter flying
in only the 2-33):
1 Puchacz (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced trainer,

aerobatic)
3 Blanik L-23 (two place, 30/1 performance; advanced

trainer,
sightseeing)
1 Blanik L-33 solo (single place, 30/1 performance; cross-

country,
sightseeing)
1 Schweitzer 1-34 (single place, 34/1 performance)
1 Pilatus B-4 (single place, 35/1 performance; cross-country,
aerobatic)
1 Schweizer 2-33A (two place, 23/1 performance; trainer)
1 Schweizer 1-26E (single place, 23/1 performance;

aerobatic)
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

--
Sparkorama

buy the best trailer you can afford with an airworthy glider

inside
it.

seriously.

So long as it isn't a DG or sadly an LS, you might find spares
very expensive to come by (see other threads)