Old April 24th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tapered pins (again)

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 3:10:49 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Helped the new owner beat his 27 together, last Sunday.............he looked shocked when I suggested he "taper" at least one pin. Nothing too severe, just 15 degrees and only on the part that extends out the back side of both spars. Found a 40mm pin in the barn from K-21 and it has 5 degree taper that starts an inch from the end, that sharpens to 15 degrees about 1/2" from the end. Looks professional, did Schleicher ever offer a tapered pin? Anything would be better than their blunt pin that will only start when everything is EXACTLY perfect!
JJ

Does the end of the pin definitely stick out beyond the spars? I wanted to do that to JS1 pins but apparently the pins were only long enough to fill the spar stub holes.