Old July 22nd 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

On Jul 21, 4:01*pm, tommytoyz wrote:
I see that their main business is making winches and that's why they
charge what they charge. But it doesn't make sense to spend $90,000 on
their cheaper system, not including transportation costs to the US,
when the engine/transmission costs less than $10,000. I mean, $5,000
for a GUILLOTINE ASSEMBLY for over $5,000 on a double drum - come on.

Perhaps the best way to go is buy the bare bones Kit for a "mere"
$44,000 not counting transportation. Any way you slice it, with
Skylaunch, it's not possible to be operational for less than $60,000,
which would include a lot of sweat equity. I think it's a bit much.
Tom

Note their Skydrive. Add your big block engine and transmission, pay
on rig, and controls and you're away.

Just the ticket with a retrieve winch setup.

Still too much? I just had a drum built for a CAP owned Gehrlein Model
62 winch (late 1960's vintage). Based on a 22-inch truck wheel, the
machining, welding, and materials cost $1165 (we crushed the old drum
last year). Runs true and well balanced. The Amsteel Blue rope we've
been using for over the past couple of weeks cost close to $3000 and
is being rented on a per launch basis. The basic winch is about 40
years old with a 351-Windsor 2bbl and FMX automatic. Kind of wheezy
for our 5500msl field, but still knocking out 1400ft launches in nil
wind. Last year on a longer run and lower elevation we got
2200-2600agl.

Frank Whiteley