Old April 12th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

Ron Gleason wrote on 4/11/2020 12:29 PM:
On Saturday, 11 April 2020 11:51:57 UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Luka Žnidaršič wrote on 4/11/2020 1:14 AM:
Note that at LAK17C max power is 30kW. With such power climb performance are very good as there is no pylon drag.

The pylon mount allows a much greater choice in propellers, allowing it to
significantly exceed an FES in efficiency. The GP15, for example, uses a three
blade propeller, and the blade shape is not constrained by the shape of the nose,
or the need for low drag when the motor is stopped. The pylon is a single,
streamlined strut that will produce almost insignificant drag at climb speeds,
even when accounting for the open doors. I base that claim on how well my ASH 26 E
thermals with the engine partially retracted for cooling, a much dirtier object
than the GP15 pylon.

While classified as a CLass 2 Hang Glider, this machine fits the objectives you defined https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qfW3ydZuY&t=178s

Yes they are ridiculously expensive

It appears to be a fine machine, certainly smaller/lighter (maybe not simpler),
but it's gliding performance is far less than my requirement: performance that
equals or exceeds an ASH26E. The price is close to my cost for a GP15.