Old June 3rd 05, 05:50 PM
Roger Kelly

wrote in
oups.com:

Roger Kelly wrote:
Our CFIG has become unavailable and our (small) club near Kansas City is
looking for a CFIG.

Some USA clubs have sponsored potential instructors by paying $500.
towards their Commercial rating, then contributing another $500.
towards the cost of earning their CFI Certificate. Sending them to a
commercial soaring operation for this training may be a very good
investment when considering the future of a soaring club.

But training expense is not always the problem. The instructor
candidate must commit time and effort to earn the CFI Certificate.

Most SSA Commercial soaring operations and some clubs with active
training programs can help pilots reach the COM-Glider / CFIG level,
usually on a one-on-one basis. Your instructor cannot spoon-feed all
the knowledge, but if the applicant arrives having read the recommended
texts, done their homework, passed the "written" tests, they can meet
the challenge and accomplish their goals.

Look for a US soaring site that offers training and practical tests at
www.ssa.org Click on the new interactive map to learn about the
services offered by dozens of capable flight instructors and examiners
across the USA.

Cultivate new instructors. Mentor them. Sponsor them if necessary,
for the future of soaring.

Burt Compton
Master CFI, FAA Designated Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com

Thanks for your input. We only have about 10 members - not all active.
Can't afford to sponsor someone. No commercial pilots in the club at this
time, but we're working on that. What we need is a short-term solution.
In the long term you are right that we need to get one or more of our
present members up to CFIG level.

--
Roger Kelly
to reply replace the IP address above with ceressenior.com