Old May 15th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tubercles lower stalling airspeed?

On May 15, 1:08 pm, Angus Mac Lir
wrote:
Jokes aside, this is serious research:

'...The potential was enough for the Ontario Centres
of Excellence and the Ontario Power Authority to contribute
about $70,000 in early-stage research funding, and
to encourage collaboration with the wind-engineering
group at the University of Western Ontario.

What fluid did they use for the tests? Water and air have somewhat
different Reynolds numbers. If the whale wings really worked that
well in normal sea level O2N2 mix I would be kind of surprised. I can
believe they might have some advantage at whale speeds in H20.