Old September 27th 05, 06:07 AM
Eric Greenwell

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
"MickiMinner" wrote:

I was astonished that I was reading that a few of you believe that SSA
took away stuff from the website, and were upset that they made it a
"members only" access. ... Why
should there be access to everyone in the world to all that hard work?

Because the "members" who pay for it want it open. Because
the "members" care more about the future of soaring as a
sport than they do about maintaining exclusivity and
preventing freeloaders from getting information they didn't
pay for. Because the "members" would rather that other
national soaring organizations open their websites up so
that SSA members can access all the other websites without
having to join every other soaring organization in the
world.

Now I'm curious - this member doesn't want it open, but nobody in the
SSA has actually asked me about it. Do you know what percentage of SSA
members want it open, closed, or don't care? Are SSA directors inundated
with contacts form members crying out for open access that the directors
are ignoring?

What other soaring organization web sites should I be interested in
accessing? I haven't gone looking for other web sites - am I missing
something? What web sites do you suggest?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA