Old August 17th 13, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Absurdity of US Rules (in fairness to FAI)

On Friday, August 16, 2013 11:35:26 PM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Rich,
If someone gets to 10k ahead of me launching, I would expect that I should be able to get that high as well in short order. If not, its probably my problem.
Sean

Sean,
You are forgeting that sometimes the lift that goes to 17,500' is nowhere near the start cylinder. Assuming a large contest and a one hour launch, the first off the grid have an additional hour to explore and utilize this lift, then return for a start. What if the task is overcalled? Invariably, your day at the front of the grid will be met with low cloudbases. Sign up for Minden next year and you can experience in person just how unfair your proposal is.
Richard Walters