Old January 7th 05, 08:43 PM

Brinks wrote:
My GPS keeps losing it's mind. On my trip back from California a

couple
weeks ago, and then on my last trip down to Shreveport, LA last week,

my
AirMap 300 loses it's position and goes into a cold start. Sometimes

it
picks up again, sometimes not. On the way down to Shreveport, I left

it in
the cold start for a little over an hour. Suddenly, out of nowhere,

it
finds itself again and is perfectly happy for a while. Then, it's

back to
Cold Start. Sometimes powering down and back up help, sometimes not.

It's
getting to be pretty annoying. Does anyone know if this is a problem

with
the AirMap, or if there's a fix for it (short of buying another GPS)?
Thanks!

I'm not sure if the Lowrance is similar, but I've seen this happen on
Garmin and older Magellan units. The problem was a dead internal
lithium battery. The battery was used to power a memory function that
kept the most recent position and the almanac alive. Once the lithium
battery died, the unit had to "find itself" and download the almanac
every time it was powered on.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)