Old June 11th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
g lof2

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

On Jun 10, 5:32*pm, Tiger wrote:
William Black wrote:

* "Mike" wrote in message
* Inside the Air Force
* Next-gen bomber must be adequately funded
* YOUNG: GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As
*
* ---------------------------------
*
* Given current wars they'd be better off buying a load of Douglas A-1
* Skyraiders and a few WWII twin engined bombers.
*
* What they need is something very reliable that lugs a largish bombload
* around and can absorb ground fire while dropping it in smallish
quantities
* with great precision.
*
* What they don't need right now is large complex jet fighter/bombers
that are
* designed to fight a major European war.
*

In other words."Why pay 2008 Corvette money to do a job your old 1988
F150 could do?" I'm sure there plenty of stuff in the boneyard that fits
the bill. A-10's, A6's, A-4's, Phantoms, A-7's. Old stuff, but to drop
bombs in zones with no Mig threats they work. I think the A-1 may be
pushing the concept a bit, but I hear you.....

Until the run into the a battery on the latest SAMs , ot a Nex-Gen
Stealth fighter, which are design to handle the latest fighters. At
which point they become so much flying scrap metal. And remember, the
reason we have air conreol is because we have the best fighter to
knock the other sides fighter out before the get to shoot at our
troops.

Frankly what I read in the story reminds me of the old warning about
fighting the last war, and not planning for the next.