View Single Post
Old May 24th 21, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jon May
external usenet poster

Default Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

On Monday, 24 May 2021 at 18:23:28 UTC+1, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 12:56:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello all! I am trying to gather information on replacement options for my club's aging Grobs. So far I have reached out to SZD for the SZD-54-2 (probably not a factor with no US certification or dealer), the HpH Twin Shark, Shempp-Hirth Duo Discus XL, Schleicher for the ASK-21B and DG for the DG1001 Club Neo.

The club prime purpose for this new glider(s) would be a combination of basic flight training, advanced training (beyond Private) and club member dual cross-country flying. A 40:1 or better best L/D would be preferred, for cross-country training. While many of the options listed are at the upper end of the price range, I need to add more in the lower/middle range.

Any recommendations on other options I have not considered? How are other clubs approaching this common problem? Thanks,

Mark

Where are you located...assuming USofA.
ASK-21 has support and I like it. It has longer legs than a 2-33.

You can't buy a better glider for training than K21b
As a former Duo owner they are beautiful gliders, but not a primary trainer, you would not want to send some one on their first Solo in one.
The K21 is easy to fly and safe for clumsy pilots, but it now has the "B" option which allows the C of G to be moved back for spin training.
In my experience K21 are very tough, and can always be sold on because some one wants one.