Old May 25th 21, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

On Mon, 24 May 2021 23:31:12 -0700, Christoph Barniske wrote:

Our conclusion was, that if you consider a ship for anything else than
basic training, the ASK21 is out of the game. The Perkosz and DG1001
club neo have significantly better performance, good flight
characteristics and are suitable for spin training.

Don't believe anybody who says the ASK-21 can't be spun without tail
weights: my pre-solo spin training was done in an ASK-21. Flown off the
winch, thermalled up to safe height and went spinning. It doesn't spin
easily unless the instructor know the magic, absolute minimum energy at
initiation, formula, but it can be spun and recovery is normal. It may or
may not be relevant, but neither that instructor or myself were above
average weight: I normally fly the '21 solo with a parachute, the seat
back in the rear notch and no weights.

I've never flown a 21b so have no idea whether it can also be spun
without tail weight.

If basic training is the most important thing for you, the ASK21 might
be the better choice, because it is probably the toughest twoseater
available. It can take a lot of punishment.

Agreed.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org