View Single Post
Old December 7th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie 2 profile examples

On Saturday, December 5, 2020 at 1:13:09 AM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Loved my old Oudie. A few quick Oudie profile comments;

- It isn't a very good idea to play with nav boxes while in the air ... especially so while bouncing around in gliders. To me the easiest way to troubleshoot what boxes I wanted was to use the Oudie in an automobile while navigating to some turnpoint airport, i.e. to/from home and my gliderport. Then I could safely pull over to the side of the road, fiddle with what I wanted, and then drive some more.

- When experimenting I suggest that you first make a copy of your current profile "just in case". When making lots of changes you can rapidly screw things up and be unable to remember how you got there and how to get back. I tended to start the season with a fresh copy of my profile. I named the new profile with at least the date. I also would copy my current base profile to make it specific to where I was flying (contest, safari, etc). Things like turnpoint/SUA databases, aircraft polar, terrain colors on or off, etc..

- Backups. Connecting the Oudie to your computer via a USB cable will mount it like a memory stick. You can then make backups of all the contents "just in case". Profiles are important in particular. It is also the easiest way to jump start a new owner by giving him my profile. My (very old) Oudie profiles can be found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/Oudie/backups/ - I kept them online "just in case". Allowed me to rebuild a replacement Oudie or even borrow someone else's if necessary without screwing it up.

My $0.02.

- John OHM

PS - I think Paul meant "infinite" not "infinitesimal". I once mistakenly typed "not" instead of "now" at work and totally inverted the meaning of my sentence. Yep, nothing got done that day. Damn spell checkers.

Thanks John, and yes, spell checkers are entertaining . I tried going to your link, but it doesn't work. I'll continue playing with it while on the ground.

Paul