Old November 21st 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:08:48 AM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
I was not aware of that limitation on Worlds Qualification. That is, if what you are saying is true, a really bad rule. I agree 100% that the "best" pilots should be sent to the World Championships. That results in dynasty (same pilot every year ala Kawa), but that is what being a "Champion" is all about. Clearly Doug is an outstanding pilot. No debate there... That said, definitively stating that DJ or KS or HA or R are the "best" under our US Sports Class rule system (assuming the goal is sending the best pilot to the Club Class World Championships) is a very, very interesting discussion.

There was a limitation for a number of years that kept many previous US Team members from being on the Club class team. That, and the limitation of gliders that could be used in team selection, was intended to give the "little guys" one class where they could get a leg up and get world championship experience.
The hope was to jump start the team from the bottom up. If someone thinks they have a chance( even if it is and illusion, given the other good pilots in the class), maybe they will give it a try.
This exercise in social engineering did not succeed, and was eliminated. Personally I was dissapointed that only a couple people, RW being one, took the opportunity presented.
A little background FWIW
UH