Old August 13th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Are washers necessary?

Good practice in wood structures calls for a sleeve through the wood
(epoxied into place), slightly shorter than the thickness of the wood,
and large-diameter washers on each side, to distribute the compression
loads from the bolts. It doesn't mater if you have a block or a washer,
as long as there is a means of distributing the loads on the wood.

-

I looked at the plans and there is no call for the sleeve. However I
like the
idea. It sure wouldn't add weight, but I do like the idea.
Lou