Old July 5th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

Default who here works for Garmin Inc?

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Though I'm not Windows fan, I believe that Avidyne and others use
Windows as the foundation for their avionics systems.

I don't believe that Avidyne uses windows in any form for their PFD
or MFD products.

If they don't, it must have been a recent change.

It had to be when they went from simply a situational awareness display
to a PFD. No way is any certified PFD going to be running any form
of windows - you simply can't meet DO-178B Level B or Level A objectives
with windows.

It's not proof, but look at avidyne's job openings. The sw jobs want
RTOS and DO-178B experience/knowledge. Zip about windows.

It has been a poorly
kept secret over the years that the Avidyne systems run a stripped-down
version of Windows.

Hardly a secret. What is proprietary is how they got that first box with
windows certified (Level C) in the first place.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the