Old December 26th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Cleared for the ILS 16 or circle to land 34 question?

Jose wrote:
You are on the LOC rwy 16 approach and (because you reached the MDA
close to the MAP) you are in a position in which you are to too high to
make a safe landing. Wind precludes landing on rwy 34.

Is it legal to circle to land all the way round to rwy 16 provided you
remain in the CTL protected area?

I would say yes, so long as you are above the circle-to-land minima.
Remember, they are usually higher than a straight-in. I presume you
were expecting to land straight in and thus descended to the straight-in
MDA.

Now, suppose you did that... would it be legal to climb to the circle
MDA and circle all the way around? I don't see why not, so long as you
remain visual.

Jose

If you have the required flight visibility required for circle-to-land
what you suggest would be legal and (assuming a good skill level)
possibly preferable to doing the miss and starting all over again.