Old May 27th 16, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Nau[_2_]

Default Selecting landout airports

Don't even try to take-off unassisted with a CG hook. It won't go well. I fly a standard class glider with a CG hook. I carry a JJ WingRunner in the cockpit with me on every flight and have used it in the very scenario you are anticipating - landout at a paved strip and aerotow out un-assisted. Entirely uneventful. It breaks down into very small components and is stowed in the baggage compartment until needed. Then assembly and attachment to the wingtip is quick and easy as per JJ's instructions. I consider it an essential piece of equipment and prefer to use that rather than an untrained human wingrunner.
Tom