Old May 30th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Default Denver GA airport

Clark wrote:
cpw wrote in news:52576cdd-6766-4e23-9471-b6bd3f2eb262

Hey pilots. I'm flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit my
son. What's the best GA airport in the area?
Instrument rated private pilot, C-182.
Thanks.

For the big boys:
BJC is handy if you're going to the north side, APA is on the South side of
town, FTG is on the east side (its just east of DIA).

There are a few other places with fuel and tie down space available if that's
all you really need. All of them are on the north side of town.

I fly out of BJC and things tend to flow pretty smoothly there. APA is just
plan busy with lots of jet traffic so things can stack up a bit there. FTG is
so far from civilization that I think it's really in Kansas. :-)

Unless son is on the south side of town I'd suggest BJC.

Oddly enough, BJC and FTG are almost the exact same distance from APA.
I live just north of APA and it's 25 min (assuming no traffic) to
either airport.

It all depends on where you need to go. At APA use the self serve gas
at TacAir.

Warning: There's now a $10 landing fee at APA. Each of the FBOs will
collect it. They're not happy, but the airport made the decision to
start charging. I haven't seen anything about it on the APA website
but TacAir told me about it a couple weeks ago.

FTG isn't really that far from civilization - it's just that urbanization
hasn't caught up to the east side of the Denver area yet so it looks
completely empty. On the positive side, there's almost no auto
traffic for 15 miles on I-70 going from FTG into Denver. Traffic starts
when you get to the intersection of I-70 and I-225.