Old January 28th 17, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Experimental aircraft and towing

On Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 2:44:37 PM UTC+12, Marc Ramsey wrote:
Is it just my imagination, or has the FAA recently obfuscated the FARs
to the point where it is now legal to tow a glider with an aircraft that
has an experimental certificate (but not for hire). Things I noticed
today while poking around:

91.309 now permits towing unpowered ultralight "vehicles" along with
gliders (and, I assume, gliders that are light sport aircraft). 91.319
allows an experimental aircraft to tow a glider that is a light-sport
aircraft or unpowered ultralight vehicle for compensation or hire.

Is there a prohibition against towing non-LSA gliders with experimental
aircraft, as long as it is not for compensation or hire? Can a
light-sport aircraft tow a glider that is not an LSA for compensation or
hire?

Marc