Old May 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Ryan Young

(Jeff Peterson) wrote in message . com...
just a couple of suggestions...

-if you grind the domed front off an LED the light pattern becomes
broad instead of narrow. that seems easier than trying to arrange
many narrow angle patterns to overlap.

You could do this, but it would be wrong. Spreading the beam in this
manner makes it more diffuse. Plus, all the scratches you'll induce
in the lense will make light transmission less efficient.

-before you grind off the front, spray paint the entire plastic bit
white. then, after grinding, all the light has to come out the ground
off end.

More like get absorbed by the paint before it ever gets out of the
packaging. Another idea I wouldn't pursue.

-the place to get cheap LEDs by the 100s is ebay. maybe 20 cents each
for ultrabrights.

Depends on what's meant by ultrabright. Check the MCD numbers. More
is better. 12000 mcd green LEDs run about $1.20-$1.50 ea, but yes,
there are some 10,000 mcd LEDs running about 20 cents, and that's
probably plenty bright enough. Meself, I wouldn't futz with anything
dimmer.

So, one good tip out of three, IMHO. Better than the RAH average.