Old September 12th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default "Selling" Safety

On 9/11/2011 7:05 AM, JJ Sinclair wrote:

Bob,
If the safety message is long or complicated it won't be read,
understood or remembered. I think it should be short, simple and
direct:

+++ Don't practice rope breaks below 500 feet and only after briefing
it.

+++ Everybody needs to have a radio and do a com-check before every
takeoff.

Cheers,
JJ

Hi JJ,

My sense is you're already a member of the choir, so in that sense I won't
expend psychic energy worrying about your approach to safety. It seems to have
served & be serving you well!

Nor is your point worth discussing/'arguing' in the right/wrong sense. People
definitely learn in different ways (including in different ways at different
*times*), because brains are so complex and diverse.

I further agree bullet points are definitely a part of learning...as are
repetition, the placing of the bullet points in some sort of context, etc.
I do wonder how many bullet points SSA/SSF/you/I/anyone-else will need to
cover every aspect of 'life-threatening safety' simply in the soaring world,
though, not to mention the (obviously?) higher-energy/riskier military world
you're eminently familiar with. :-)

Regards,
Bob W.