Old March 21st 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

Lot of people calling each other stupid on here....

I’ve installed a lot of different ADS-B out systems. If it was my personal power airplane I would put in an ESGi transponder. I was recently involved in a Trig ADS-B out transponder installation. It’s a very elegant solution for a glider.

If I was going to put an UAT system in it would probably be a GDL 82. The skyBeacon is quick, easy and cheap but I would worry about the impact of the lawsuit between Garmin and uAvionix.

A skyBeacon would be better then nothing in a tow plane. I’ve had more close calls with power planes while towing and flying gliders then with other gliders. Installed the skyBeacon is around $2,000 compared to the ESGi’s $5,000.

My experienced 2 cents