View Single Post
Old December 12th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:28:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2012 3:05:17 PM UTC-8, John Carlyle wrote:

On Monday, December 10, 2012 5:20:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The RC current proposal for Mifflin 2013 includes AT which is known to increase gaggles. If they succeed should Mifflin pilots be asked if they want to fly in the first AT two handicap division Sports Class Nationals?

Sean Franke (HA)

Hank Nixon already gave a "heads up" on this possibility on Nov 7 in this forum. Knowing Hank, I expect that if the CC is approved by the SSA BOD, he'll be making even more announcements. So you don't have to worry about it, Sean.

-John

John, it's good to hear concerns and suggestions. Based on what I hear from you and others, the Sports Class should remain intact without rule changes. If AT is introduced so will gaggles. There are some like you who don't care to fly in a class with gaggles.

Evan stated some advantages and merits of MAT such as less work and more BBQ's. If the Sports Class added AT there would be fewer MAT's.

Guy posted "The trick is to preserve the spirit and the simplicity of the FAI rules, but at the same time make them a bit more palatable to US pilots."

What makes sense to preserve Sports Class as an all inclusive handicap class under current US rules. In ADDITION ADD US Club Class at the same venue under FAI rules. This way no one goes home and 99% are happy. Fly in the class you prefer. Club Class can, if necessary, have a separate start area and be tasked differently than Sports Class reducing glider traffic. Those who don't care for MAT (I'm one)aren't forced to fly it. Also, those who want something different that US rules have a place to fly. The US Club Class should preserve FAI spirit but make compatible with US pilots. Variations might include handicap acceptance and unit format.

Sean Franke (HA)

Using the entry lists/gliders from recent Sports Nats as a baseline, this proposal doesn't work. Surely that's obvious.

T8