Old August 11th 18, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

I just flew with an S8 set up for electronic compensation. I was very happy with it and it seemed to improve the winter vario that was then left as the only vario on the TE line.

Do follow the manual for configuration, it recommends that the pitot and static have the same length of tubing. It is best to have a dual port in the vertical with both ports. I decided to try the electronic compensation after the pilot flying PL, the ASG 29 in Poland, recommended it. You can see how PL (also flown as PC) has done in the 15M and 18M classes at the WGC this summer.

One caution, if you use the static ports on the boom for electronic compensation, dumping water will cause great errors until the static ports dry out..