Old September 4th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

Default Winch launch procedure and accidents

On 4 Sep, 15:59, Andrew Warbrick
wrote:
This is mostly an attempt to rename a thread which
now has NO connection whatsoever with 925's crash on
Sunday.

As I understand it, the British system was changed
after accidents where pilots accepted a cable without
being ready to go and were winched off as a result
of, for example, scratching their noses.

That was the claim. In reality, I think it was changed because Lasham
had a new CFI who wanted to make an impact on the gliding scene.

I'm all in favour of changing systems from time to time. When people
have to think about what they are doing they are less likely to make
accidents from unwarranted assumptions. I still don't like losing that
degree of control of the launch, though.

Ian