Old August 31st 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gen

Default Soaring experience at Driggs, ID with Teton Aviation

I participated in King Mountain safari both last year and this year.
In fact, I went to Driggs right after this year’s King Mountain
safari. A few 18 m gliders made round trips to Teton from King
Mountain on the day Wayne mentioned. I was feeling under the weather
that day and didn’t fly, but it’s about 400 km round trip, so I bet
there will be another chance. I haven’t participated in Mackay safari,
but it’s only 20 miles north of King Mountain, so I assume the soaring
experience is the same. I’ve heard of Haily, but as far as I know,
there is no longer a glider operation there.

It’s funny you mentioned King Mountain because I have been pondering
on the vivid contrast of King Mountain and Driggs. King Mountain is a
developing gliderport and this is only their second year. Facility-
wise, They don’t have anything fancy. A campfire range, porta
potties, and a temporary shower are all they have. They don’t have a
nice front desk or big screen TV Teton Aviation has. But they have
great wing runners, and all staffs were enthusiastic to support pilots
and to listen to us to improve their services. For example, they
supplied a cooler full of cold bottles of water near the tow queue,
free of charge, everyday. This is not just for comfort, but because
they know dehydration is one of the common safety hazards for cross
country flights. A few other gliderports do the same. When the safari
ended, many of us voluntarily left them extra money to support the
future improvement of King Mountain Glider Park.

I haven’t been to Salida, but have flown at Durango (130 miles
southwest) and Boulder (100 miles north) in Colorado. They both had
great scenery with beautiful mountains. Durango is a very busy ride-
oriented place and only a few private gliders were flying. But I was
able to do a 500 km on my first flight there, so I believe there is a
good potential for long flights in the area. Boulder has separate ride
operation and a club, and they seemed to be working well. There were
some great pilots in the club. I also enjoyed the city and hiking
trails. It also has an NWS branch and NCAR lab. Both of them offer
tours to the public.

Tom, thanks for sharing interesting history. Maybe I didn’t spend as
much as jet people, but I bough lunch for the CFIG and towpilot who
gave me an introduction on the first day, bought and wore a hat with
their logo, wore fresh and clean shirts whenever I visited the FBO,
and gave tips to the staff who brought oxygen cart to my glider.