View Single Post
Old February 23rd 19, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo
external usenet poster

Default Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

Took my 1981 komet to a local trailer shop for adjustments and lube before a trip out west last summer. They said they had never seen such a contraption underneath it, and didn't have any way to replace parts. He thought it looked like some backyard custom made thing. Which is pretty consistent with what I've noticed about glider trailers, no two are the same. I ended up going to a new axle with electric brakes, which I was towing behind a 4runner. It involved quote a bit of creativity on the shop's end, and they did excellent work. Also involved bolting the sliding tongue down, since surge breaks were gone. It made a difference, simply because the 4runner wheelbase was pretty short. Getting passed by a truck or windy conditions tended to wag the vehicle a bit, regardless of trailer tongue loading. With the electric brakes, you leave the gain at 2 or 3, and if it starts swinging just squeeze a little manual brake pressure and it straightens right out. Now I tow behind a tundra, and forget the trailer is even attached. Another point is, during a long trip if something original komet fails, it'll be weeks before you're back on the road. With this one I could buy parts at Auto zone and wheels at Wal Mart if I had to. For me it was all about reliability and safety. But then again I also have a back up camera on my trailer wired to the tail light circuit and LEDs all over it. I think the total for the axle and brake swap ended up being about $1,600. Also it took me dragging it to 3 different shops before one agreed to be creative and work on it.

Jordan