Old August 18th 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 17, 7:41*pm, BTiz wrote:
On Aug 17, 7:56*am, Tony wrote:

Curious,

Sporting Code 3 defines the Ultralight Class as a take off weight of
less than 220 kg, or 485 lbs. *Is this maximum allowed takeoff weigth
or the actual weight of the glider for that flight?

Tony... as I read the sporting code.. they always refer to "Mass",
whether it be max or minimum attainable.
So to me, in the US to read, "ULTRALIGHT, a glider with a takeoff mass
not exceeding 220 kg," that means maximum gross weight.

Are you considering that you can get an ULTRALIGHT record if you can
fly your glider below 220kg, even if you can actually carry more
according to the TCDS?
Perhaps a letter to the FAI or the SSA Badge Lady is needed?
BT

The sporting code does not have different meaning in the US vs. other
countries.

Not me, but I think there is a possibility that a light person in
Leah's Cherokee II would be under the Ultralight limit and the
Feminine World Record for Free Distance in the Ultralight class is
only 150ish kilometers. There are NO US Feminine records in the
Ultralight class.