Old August 19th 10, 11:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Osoba[_3_]

Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 17, 9:56*am, Tony wrote:
Curious,

Sporting Code 3 defines the Ultralight Class as a take off weight of
less than 220 kg, or 485 lbs. *Is this maximum allowed takeoff weigth
or the actual weight of the glider for that flight?

For the DU category, the 220 kg requiremnt is the all up weight. This
will need to be certified by the OO and the FAI is strict about it (as
they should be). The Carbon Dragon prototype (at 145.7 lbs. empty
weight) is a lightweight in this class. The Sparrowhawks weigh about
30 lbs. more and makes the weight easily as well. The Silent II WR
prototype was built specifically to meet my all up weight, and the
builders even resorted to special titanium fittings in some areas to
make it. I flew a straight line flight of about 1,000 km in it but
didn't file the world record, planning on exceeding it but then
falling short due to weather. Leo is lighter than I am and had more
spare weight in it. Some of the lighter Woodstocks, such as mine, also
make the weight if the pilot is not too heavy. I weigh about 180 lbs.

There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba