Old February 13th 15, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Towing with a TDI

On 2/13/2015 1:40 PM, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking into
a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or
bad?

Peter

Oh Jeez...another "religious topic" question! :-)

I'm guessing you're planning on towing primarily a Libelle (or maybe that Ka-6)?

I towed for 37 years with a 2600 lb, short-wheelbase, unibody car ('72 2-dr
Ford Maverick), primarily in the intermountain west, mostly - but not always -
towing 15 meter glass in a decent trailer (estimated total weight 2500 lbs).
Prolly tied for the heaviest was an HP-14 in a homebuilt wooden trailer, which
empty likely easily exceeded 2,000 pounds, and our club's 2-32 on a woefully
(and tongue-)heavy, dual-axled open trailer. Only the 2-32 trailer (surge
brake) had trailer brakes. The only modification to the car was the (didn't
fit/some welding required) "universal" Sears trailer hitch. Engine was a 302
V8, w. 3-speed manual transmission & 2.79:1 final drive ratio. The combo w. 15
meter glider/trailer regularly got ~21+ mpg out here. Car brakes were the
usual dismal drums all around of that era, w. about 80% of one panic stop in
'em for the nekkid vehicle, before serious fading and lateral imbalances
occurred. I can recall only two times being alarmed in towing situations, one
"flutter" from the (then) unbalanced HP-14 trailer, and the other braking
related (no alarm needed, in fact). Had the vehicle not gone to that Great
Rust Bucket in the sky, I'd never have sold it for its (3rd) engine in 2009.
Highest pass traversed w. trailer in tow was the Eisenhower tunnel (multiple
times) on I-70 west of Denver.

Brakes aside, I much preferred it to the 4WD, 6-speed manual, 2007 V6 Tacoma
that replaced it (and in which, exceeding 18 mpg pulling the 15-meter glider
trailer is a bonus...). But the latter vehicle is what my wife fell in love
with for her two-hole donkey-trailering needs (even though the Maverick did
quite nicely with that, too, distinctly aided w. electric trailer brakes).

Your mileage WILL vary...

Bob W.