View Single Post
Old February 13th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Towing with a TDI

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 2:45:41 PM UTC-8, Dan Daly wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 3:40:07 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

Peter

I have a 06 Jetta Sedan with 1.9 TDI. I tow a 2000 lb Avionic clamshell with ALKO running gear (hydraulic surge), with an SZD55 in it. It is well-behaved on the highway and the mileage drops from 44 to 32 (USmpg) while trailering at 65 mph. No issues. Very stable on the highway. Another in my club has a JSW and tows a Lak-12 trailer with no issues (but the length). I tow to the Ridge and in upstate NY, so somewhat hilly. I use a Bosal hitch - the drawtites with their through-sheet metal attachments seemed a bit flimsy to me.
If your trailer doesn't have brakes, I'd look for something else.

I have a 2009 Volks TDI Jetta Sportswagon and tow a Cobra trailer with an 18m ship. It tows great. You forget the trailer is even back there sometimes.. With 3 people in the car and the trailer, I see 28-30 mph on the highway. And the back of the Sportswagon has plenty of room for all my "glider stuff", cooler, etc.