Old February 17th 15, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Towing with a TDI

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 9:23:42 PM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:
wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 12:40:07 PM UTC-8, vontresc wrote:
Looking at getting a new vehicle this spring, and am currently looking
into a Jetta Sportwagon TDI. Any of you guys use one to tow your ship? Good or bad?

Peter

I'm pretty sure the DSG transmission doesn't allow towing. I'm sure it
WILL tow, but with a hitch on the back you may have warranty issues. If
you're not under warranty, I wouldn't want to have to repair that
transmission.....I can't imagine how much that thing costs to repair.

I have a 2013 tdi wagon and love the car but have 5k left on the
powertrain and it's making me nervous, and I don't tow.

I'm pretty much limiting my search to manual transmission. This is going to
be dual use regular car with occasional Libelle towing duty (light trailer
with good surge brakes).

Still don't understand why one must use a full size truck to tow anything
;-)

Pete

'Cuz we can? If you have ever towed with a long wheelbase full size 'Murican Pickup Truck, you will never want to use anything else!

Well, of course, until you have to put gas in it.

Kirk
66