Old February 17th 15, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Towing with a TDI

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 6:25:20 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Very good.
I've looked at the GLK250 Bluetec. Great specs including economy, feels solid.
Jim

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 2:00:51 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:11:26 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Peter got my attention right away. I'll look at the VW TDI AWD wagon if it's ever released.
Looking for one vehicle with great fuel economy, AWD, tow capable and International standard trailer lighting capable. Unfortunately Audi USA is very slow at getting the 2.0TDI engine into their Allroad, which has been very popular in Europe. Believe the 2.0TDI is only in FWD A3s. Incidentally the A3 will tow single seaters well.
The VW Tiguan TDI is unavailable in USA.
So is the Subaru Forrester TDI.
And of course Audi Allroad TDI.
All are available and used for towing gliders elsewhere.

Sorry about the hurried earlier post, my flight was about to leave: The fiberglass top Cobras have been discussed many times before regarding the aerodynamic qualities of the fin.
But it seems mostly C/G that will make a trailer difficult to tow.
Jim

Mercedes GLK-250 BlueTec is available in the USA with 3500 lbs towing capacity and great mileage. It tows very well an 18 m trailer.

You will not get wrong with this SUV. I bought one in September and I love it. I will not say here what I get for mileage towing an ASH-26E in an 18 m trailer, no one will believe!