Old October 18th 16, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Jet Arcus first soaring flight

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 1:44:12 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:15:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I don't know about "significant long flights", but the jet glider idea is certainly not new: I think the first turbojet powered glider was this one: the Fouga CM8-R13 http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=67

Gérard Pierre was silver medalist with the unpowered version, Fouga CM8-15 at the world championships 1952 at Madrid Quatro Vientos, Spain.

Fouga made a whole series of derivatives, http://www.minijets.org/index..php?id=159 including this Fouga Gémaux, reminiscent of the Twin Mustang: http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=74

And don't forget the pulse-jet gliders: the Emouchet Escopette in France: http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=135 or the Bocian Puls in Poland:http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=138.

In the US in the sixties to seventies (advert in Soaring july 1974, for example), Gluhareff produced pulse-jet units that could be used for gliders, and I recall an advertisement in Soaring in the same period with still another type of pulse-jet.

Somehow an Arcus seems nicer to fly than a Fouga, Bocian or Craponi.
Admittedly never flown a Fouga.
Will anyone want to convert their glider to any of those other self-launch systems? Bob is on to something good. The Bonus Jet proved the system's capability, and climbs at nearly 1000 feet per minute with two on board.
Jim

... or Craponi.

I give you the benefits of the doubt and call it a honest typo!
Apologies accepted ;-)

Uli
Calif enthusiast