Old October 20th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towing X2 - Possible? Dangerous? Illegal?

I have a 34 foot class A that I tow my Glider with. I also tow a toad 4 wheel down cavalier when I don't have the glider. The problem I have is the weight I could put on the rear axle is limited to about 200 lbs. So I custom built a rack for the front where I had 600 lbs to use and mounted a Honda Rebel 250 motorcycle. Most States have max vehicle length combined at 65 feet and you can't have more than one thing in tow unless the first vehicle is a fifth wheel configuration to which you can add a trailer. The real issue then becomes total length. Also I thought of a "Stacker" trailer for both a Car and glider trailer, but they are expensive as well. I don't ground tow the glider with the motorcycle at flying sites but probably could if very careful and slow. There are usually friends with other vehicles to borrow and in case of the occasional land out I can use the Motorhome to retrieve.