Old February 25th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:01:00 -0800, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

One comment on the crab method, you must transition to forward slip
before touchdown. What if when you if you go to kick out the crab,
just above runway and you find out that the x-wind is too strong for a
forward slip to maintain track.

If I do the crab+held-off landing properly, I should be under 3 ft up (at
the very most: half that is better) and already sinking when I kick the
glider straight. If you're too early straightening up, of course you're
being blown sideways when you land.

AFAIK the upwind wing low technique you guys call 'forward slip' isn't
taught to UK glider pilots. I was never taught it and can't recall seeing
anybody using it on our field.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK